1. I joined the U.S. Navy at age 18, volunteered for Submarine duty while at the Machinists Mate school at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station. This was after boot camp in Newport, Rhode Island. About 55 men volunteered in our group and three were selected for Sub School. We went to New London, for Submarine School, then Diesel Engine School.

2. From New London, a group of us were shipped via train to San Francisco where we boarded a Liberty Ship bound for Brisbane, Australia. Soon after arriving at Brisbane, we were transported across country via the Australian Rail Road system to the West Coast at Perth, Australia, then to a submarine tender at Fremantle, Australia.

For a couple of months, my assignments, were to work on submarines as they came in off war patrols, usually overhauling engines and making the boat ready for another war patrol. Then it became my turn to become a crewmember on board one of the next submarines to come into that port; it was the USS Tinosa (SS-283).

The first special task for all submarine men, besides their regular duties are to become qualified; that means everyone has to learn the boat. All men must know all operations and all the systems, air, water, fuel, firing torpedoes, starting engines, operating the various manifolds and the electrical controls. All emergency procedures must become second nature. The locations and capacities of all tanks, pipe lines and pumps must be learned. An examination is given before you are allowed to wear the "Twin Dolphin" insignia and are considered qualified.

I made six war patrols, the 5th through the 10th., while on board Tinosa, all in the Pacific. We sank many ships and was depth charged in most every engagement. Also we were attacked by aircraft a number of times. We also did a number of special missions, like plotting enemy mine fields, landing agents in Borneo, rescuing downed airmen, shore bombardments.

3. My role in the war was part of the crew, operating, and maintaining the Diesel engines and other shipboard machinery.

4. Probably the most memorable experiences came at the end of the war.

At Tokyo Bay while on board the submarine tender Protius, anchored next in line to the battleship Missouri, I witnessed the sun set directly behind Mt. Fujiama which was exactly in line with the battleship Missouri the evening before the signing of the surrender documents.

Also, for about the next six months or so, I was assigned as a prize crewmember, on board the ex-Jap submarine I-401. This was one of the largest submarines in the world at that time. It carried three floatplanes in a watertight hanger. I was in charge of the starboard engine room, which had two very large Diesels; there were two other large (3,000 HP each) Diesels in the Port engine room and two auxiliary Diesels in another room. We had to learn this vessel completely because we eventually sailed it to Hawaii in company with the I-402 and the I-14 with a submarine rescue vessel along for company.

Also spent time as an instructor in the Escape Training Device (the tank) at the Sub School in New London and helped train new submarine men on board the Grouper, which served as a school boat at New London.

After six years in the Navy, I decided to go back to school, where I studied engineering, became a Mechanical Engineer and retired as a Professional Engineer.

Joined the US Submarine Veterans of WWII, attended most all conventions and became the editor of a Tinosa newsletter and a local Chapter newsletter.

We hold our Tinosa reunions during the National Conventions.

In the year 2001, the National Convention and the Tinosa reunion will be held in St. Louis, Missouri.

When you opened this web site, you saw a picture of the submarine tender Protius with 12 submarines alongside while at Tokyo Bay. Also there is a picture of the USS Tinosa, when she still had her 4" deck gun.